Monday, May 10, 2010

Dear Death Awaits Me

Imagine living in this world for ever, knowing you will never die. Not such a pleasant thought for me. For without death awaiting you, what good is life?

A kid is thrilled by the slightest of newness in his surroundings. A new kind of toy, a new book, a new place, a new feel… As this kid grows older he is less and less pleased. He gradually experiences it all. He masters his small irrational fears, doesn’t rejoice on his insignificant achievements, is hardly surprised by little discoveries… in short, he gets de-sensitized gradually, grows numb and number day by day…

Since I was a kid, I was never afraid of death. To me death has never meant the end of my soul or of my existence or the event of my dead body being eaten up by ants in my grave. It has meant totally something else. Death to me is the gate to eternity, the road to a long awaited event, a long pending meeting with my Creator, the hope of seeing Him and of course a lot more.

As the character of Achilles in the movie Troy said

“Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now, and we will never be here again”

Personally speaking, I have since forever felt that I’d die very young. At 12 I felt I’d die by 16, at 16 I thought I wouldn’t live my 19th year, and at 20 today I still feel I might live up to just 24 years of age. I don’t really know why but I have always felt this way… Yes, I might die young. How young, I don’t really know. But this whole expectation of dying tomorrow adds joy to each and every thing I experience today.

6 comments:

  1. No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life.
    - Steve jobs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. And I think the concept of death and after life gives hope to the desperate too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. you just presented death in a different light. I need to look forward to my death as a source of rejoice for the achievements of my life

    ReplyDelete
  4. @amna, depends on what a person believes death to be... i think a person who really desires to meet his Creator on the day of judgement and who really has eeman in his eternity wouldn't love this world so much and consequently, would detest death as it is by the masses.

    @najwa, true! it gives hope to everyone, otherwise, this world is morally, ethically, justice-wise and in so many other aspects incomplete.

    @Kiran, yes, but depends what kind of achievements they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MARYAM: nai bhai i didnt say that Jobs did :)
    i agree with the second half of the statement that ' death is the single best invention in life' - and he goes on to say that it clears way for the new by removing the old...

    btw we made our obituaries in Entre course and surprisingly most of us wanted to die very young we put our deaths in our thirties ... khair the longer u live the more the chances of going astray ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete